I recently attended a cooking class with Pamela Clarke at the Australian Women’s Weekly Test Kitchen in the Sydney CBD. Pamela knows absolutely everything about cooking, is incredibly down-to-earth and our small group of 12 wanna be chefs cooked up a storm of curries in the Curries & Casseroles Cooking Class for yummy devouring after cooking.
We were paired up and I had the lovely Margot as my teammate and we cooked a Red Lentil, Mushroom & Spinich Curry. Other curries that featured in our feast at the end were: Aloo Gobi, Lemon, Coconut & Chilli Poached Fish, Assamese Sour Fish Curry, Pork Green Curry, Palak Paneer and Butter Chicken.
You could ask Pamela any question you wanted, she pottered around the different stove areas to see how you were faring. It’s definitely lots of fun and it got me cooking something I haven’t done before. It felt strange having someone be so organised for you and having all the ingredients out on the bench, and I haven’t cooked with someone for so long so that was fun for me.
I also remade the Red Lentil Curry at home (pictures below) and it wasn’t as good as Pamela’s when we cooked it in her kitchen, but that’s because I’m more impatient!
The following recipe for the Red Lentil Curry and all the other recipes mentioned above are available in the Australian Women’s Weekly “Stew … Braises and Casseroles” cookbook. The cookbook is available in bookstores and online from www.acpbooks.com.au or Random House, RRP$19.95. Another good cookbook I’ve been using is AWW Slow Cooking, RRP$39.95.
Red Lentil, Mushroom and Spinach Curry with Yoghurt Sauce
- 1 cup (200g) dried red lentils
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small brown onion (80g), sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1cm piece fresh ginger (5g), grated
- 2 small green chillies, sliced thinly
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 1½ cups (375ml) vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 250g baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup (280g) natural yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wash lentils well under cold running water.
- Heat oil in large frying pan; cook seeds, stirring, until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add mushrooms; cook until browned lightly.
- Add drained lentils to pan with stock and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine ingredients for yogurt sauce in small bowl.
- Add garam masala and spinach to curry; stir until spinach has wilted.
- Serve curry with yogurt sauce and naan bread, if desired.
Preparation time 15 minutes cooking time 15 minutes and serves 4
Nutritional count per serving 8.8g total fat (2.5g saturated fat); 1170kJ (280 cal); 24.7g carbohydrate; 20.1g protein; 10.4g fibre.
To book a class call 136 116 or visit www.acpbooks.com.au, there’s a banner on the front page for you. I highly recommend it, grab a girlfriend and book in.
Your Pop Culture Gossip Girl