The September 2009 issue of Vogue Australia is the winner of The Maggies: Magazine Cover of the Year. The cover featured an illustration of Australian actress Cate Blanchett and beat titles across all nine categories.
Vogue Australia enlisted the help of UK fashion illustrator, David Downton, to produce four different illustrations of Blanchett for the 50th Anniversary Collector\’s edition (alternative covers not considered in the judging) – I was disappointed that they didn’t use one of our many talented Australian fashion illustrators for the 50th Anniversary issue!!!
Vogue\’s Editor-in-Chief, Kirstie Clements, said of the accolade, “It’s lovely to be recognized. I’m very proud of this cover. It was our art director Ella Munro who came up with the idea of commissioning David Downton. Melding the tradition of fashion illustration with a modern actress wearing current fashion was a visual summation of the magazine’s history. We were celebrating the past, with an eye on the present.”
- Overall Winner â€“ Vogue Australia (September 2009)
- Business & Trade Winner – Australian Business Solutions (April/May 2010)
- Fashion, Health & Beauty Winner – Vogue Australia (September 2009)
- Food & Wine Winner – donna hay (Aug/Sept 2009)
- House & Garden Winner – Better Homes & Gardens (December 2009)
- Lifestyle Winner – Who (April 12, 2010)
- Science, Tech & Nature Winner – Wildlife Australia (Winter 2010)
- Specialist Winner – Professional Educator (June 2010)
- Sports Winner â€“ Waves (February 2010)
- Your & Pop Culture Winner – Total Girl (May 2010)
The Maggies were shortlisted by a panel of industry peeps, chaired by Ita Buttrose, the shortlist was then put to a public vote via www.themaggies.com.au, where over 75,000 votes were cast during the five week period.
Publishers were encouraged to donate to children\’s cancer charity, Camp Quality, plus everyone who voted received a $5 iSUBSCRiBE gift voucher, with $1 from magazine subscriptions purchased with this voucher going to charity. Over $17,000 has been raised so far, with this figure set to rise.
Well done to Vogue Australia and the other titles who won.
Are you happy with the winner?
Your Pop Culture Gossip Girl