As I do every festive season, I bring you some amazing Lindt Chocolate recipes that are just so divine you will think you’ve died and gone to heaven!Â This Christmas is no different and today I’ve got two incredible recipes, a Passionfruit Verrine and Ice Cream Sandwich both made with Lindt love by Thomas Schnetzler, Lindt\’s MaÃ®tre Chocolatier.
Makes approximately 6 serves or (10 smaller portions)
Preparation time 20 minutes plus setting time.
Â “This is a true summer delight. The tartness of the passionfruit combines deliciously with the wonderful flavour of this unique chocolate and the luxuriously smooth cream; while the passionfruit seeds and slivers of almond add subtle texture. A Verrine is a dessert served in a glass – you can use any shape glass. You can also put your own touch to this recipe by adding a layer of jelly or crushed shortbread.” Thomas Schnetzler.
Chocolate Passionfruit CrÃ¨me
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â CrÃ¨me Patissiere, still warm, see instructions below
- 130 gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Lindt Excellence Passionfruit Intense, chopped
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â *Passionfruit pulp (sweetened if desired) – approx 12 fresh passionfruit, or buy tins.
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â Cream, whipped
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â CrÃ¨me Patissiere, cooled, see instructions below
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â *Passionfruit pulp (sweetened if desired), approx 12 passionfruit
- 180 mlÂ Â Â Â Cream, whipped
Pieces of chocolate cake or biscuits (optional)
*Passionfruit pulp can be bought in tins or in frozen bulk if fresh passionfruit are not available or too expensive.
- 500 mlÂ Â Â Â Milk
- 65 gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Butter, unsalted
- 125 gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Caster sugar
- 2 tspÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Vanilla bean paste
- 45 gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Cornflour
- 5Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Egg yolks
Method for CrÃ¨me Patissiere
Combine the milk, butter, half the sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to the boil.Â In the meantime whisk remaining sugar, cornflour and egg yolks.Â Once milk is boiling, pour a small amount into the egg mixture.Â Stir well and then add the egg mix to the milk and cook until thickened.Â Divide the custard mixture in two and set aside one half covered in cling film.
Method for Verrine
For the Chocolate CrÃ¨me, mix the chopped chocolate into the warm custard and stir until dissolved.Â Mix in the passionfruit pulp and lastly gently fold in the whipped cream.Â Place in the fridge to cool.
For the Passionfruit CrÃ¨me, whisk the custard then mix in passionfruit and whipped cream and cool.
Assemble the dessert by piping or spooning chocolate custard into the base of the glass.Â Then top with the Passionfruit CrÃ¨me and decorate with some passionfruit pulp and a little garnish.
You can serve this dessert immediately or prepare it the day before.
Maitre\’s Tip: You could also add a layer of chocolate cake/brownie pieces or crushed biscuits for added texture. Buy passionfruit when they are cheap and plentiful and freeze the fruit whole or pulp only in a plastic lock-bag.
CHRISTMAS ICE CREAM SANDWICH
Makes 12-15 portions. Preparation time 30 minutes, baking tin 30x20cm
“Something a little different to the standard fruit cake and maybe even an alternative dessert for a hot climate Christmas. This is a grown up version of an ice cream sandwich perfectly suited to round off a relaxing meal on a nice summer evening. It is important to use the best possible quality ice cream for this as it makes a real difference and if you have an ice cream maker, it is really rewarding to use your own. Alternatively you can also use the Lindt Parfait recipe (www.lindt.com). As when making fruit cake, best allow the fruit to marinate in the brandy for a while, and for the little ones, replace the brandy with some Earl Grey tea. ” Thomas Schnetzler.
- 2 baking tins 30x20cm
- 250gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Eggs (approximately 4-5)
- 150gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Caster sugar
- 90gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Plain flour
- 10gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Good quality cocoa powder
- 50gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Butter, unsalted, melted and cooled
- Pinch Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Sea salt
- 450gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Mixture of dried fruits (eg Apricots, raisins, cherries and prunes)
- 50gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Pistachios, chopped
- 100gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Lindt Excellence Dark Caramel, finely chopped
- 100mlÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Best quality brandy or Cognac
- 3ltÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Vanilla bean ice cream
- 200gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa
- 20gÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Coconut Butter- from the health food shop or use some clarified butter or ghee
- (Optional )Â Â Quatre Ã‰pices for dipping
*Quatre Ã‰pices is a spice mix available from good delicatessens.
Preheat the oven to 210ÂºC
For the filling, mix all ingredients (except ice cream) in a bowl and set aside to marinate with the brandy.Â For the sponge, combine the eggs and the caster sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer and whisk until light and fluffy.Â Sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt and gently fold under light egg mixture.Â Lastly fold in the melted butter.
Grease two 30×20 cm rectangular baking tins and line with baking paper. Pour batter into tins, smooth with palate knife and bake for 10 minutes or until just firm. Remove sponge from the tin and place on wire rack to cool.
Building the ice cream sandwich
- Take ice cream out of the freezer and allow to soften slightly.
- Line a deep baking tin 30x20cm with baking paper and place one sheet of sponge on the base.
- Evenly spread out the fruit mixture over the sponge base and top with softened ice cream.
- Top with the second sheet of sponge and return to the freezer.
- Once firm again, cut into portions (rectangular or use a round cutter) and return to freezer.
- Combine ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and gently melt over a double boiler.
- Dip one corner of each sandwich portion into the glaze, sprinkle with *Quatre Ã‰pices (or mixed spice) and return to freezer until required.
Maitre Tip: When the ice cream is soft, I sometimes mix in a little Gingerbread spice and some chocolate shortbread pieces.
This year\’s Lindt Christmas range has some magical surprises with the arrival of an adorable Lindt Teddy Bear, especially created by Lindt Master Chocolatiers.Â The Lindt Teddy Bear is hand-finished with a red heart charm and there’s the cutest range of Lindt Mini Teddy Bears that will be perfect stocking fillers.Â I also adore the Limited Edition retro-style Lindt Nostalgic Tins filled with delicious mini pralines andÂ you can’t go past the Lindt Santa Workshop tin filled with Milk chocolate mini Reindeers, mini Santas, Napolitains and Lindor Milk Balls.
If you want to see what other recipes I’ve featured, you can visit them here.
Lindt Chocolate is the perfect Christmas treat, available nationally at Coles Woolworths, Big W, Target, specialist food stores and of course David Jones and Myer.Â You can visit the Lindt website for more recipes and chocolate tips: www.lindt.com.au.
Your Pop Culture Gossip Girl