Tonight the stars were out for the 2nd Annual Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Awards Ceremony held in Sydney at The Star Event Centre (January 30th). Oscar winner Russell Crowe flew in from the AACTA International Awards held on the weekend in Los Angeles (check out the pics here).
The Sapphires scored well taking out six AACTA awards including best film, best director (Wayne Blair), best lead actress (Deborah Mailman), best lead actor (Chris O’Dowd), best supporting actress (Jessica Mauboy) and best adapted screenplay for Keith Thompson and Tony Briggs.
Crowe said in a statement:
“’The Australian Academy is making its mark in the States, and I’m equally as honoured to represent the Australian industry in L.A. as host of AACTA’s International Awards, as I am to return home to celebrate the success of my peers at the 2nd AACTA Awards Ceremony in Sydney.
The star studded event saw Cate Blanchett (wearing Armani), Nicole Kidman, Geoffrey Rush, Jessica Mauboy, Hugo Weaving, Rove McManus, Kat Stewart, Deborah Mailman, Lachy Hulme, Matt LeNevez, Garry McDonald, Susie Porter, Megan Gale (wearing Alex Perry), Pia Miranda, Gracie Otto and Shane Jacobsen and international stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton walked the carpet.
Winners list (winners highlighted in bold):
- Burning Man. Andy Paterson, Jonathan Teplitzky.
- Lore. Karsten Stoter, Liz Watts, Paul Welsh, Benny Drechsel.
- The Sapphires. Rosemary Blight, Kylie du Fresne.
- Wish You Were Here. Angie Fielder.
- Burning Man. Jonathan Teplitzky.
- Lore. Cate Shortland.
- The Sapphires. Wayne Blair.
- Wish You Were Here. Kieran Darcy-Smith.
Best lead actor
- Joel Edgerton. Wish You Were Here.
- Matthew Goode. Burning Man.
- Chris O’Dowd. The Sapphires.
- Guy Pearce. 33 Postcards.
Best lead actress
- Toni Collette. Mental.
- Deborah Mailman. The Sapphires.
- Felicity Price. Wish You Were Here.
- Sarah Snook. Not Suitable For Children.
Best supporting actor
- Ryan Corr. Not Suitable For Children.
- Liev Schreiber. Mental.
- Antony Starr. Wish You Were Here.
- Gary Waddell. The King Is Dead!
Best supporting actress
- Essie Davis. Burning Man.
- Rebecca Gibney. Mental.
- Deborah Mailman. Mental.
- Jessica Mauboy. The Sapphires.
Best original screenplay
- Burning Man. Jonathan Teplitzky.
- Mental. PJ Hogan.
- Not Suitable For Children. Michael Lucas.
- Wish You Were Here. Kieran Darcy-Smith, Felicity Price.
Best reality television series
- The Amazing Race Australia. David Gardner, Matthew Kowald. Seven Network.
- MasterChef Australia – Series 4. Tim Toni. Network Ten.
- My Kitchen Rules – Series 3. Matt Apps, Greg Swanborough, Evan Wilkes. Seven Network.
- The Voice. Julie Ward. Nine Network.
Best television drama series
- Puberty Blues. John Edwards, Imogen Banks. Network Ten.
- Rake – Season 2. Ian Collie, Peter Duncan, Richard Roxburgh. ABC1.
- Redfern Now. Darren Dale, Miranda Dear. ABC1.
- Tangle – Season 3. John Edwards, Imogen Banks. FOXTEL – Showtime.
Best telefeature or mini series
- Beaconsfield. John Edwards, Jane Liscombe. Nine Network.
- Devil’s Dust. Antonia Barnard, Stephen Corvini. ABC1.
- Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War. John Edwards, Mimi Butler. Nine Network.
- Underground. Helen Bowden. Network Ten.
Best actor in a television drama
- Jimi Bani. Mabo. ABC1
- Anthony Hayes. Devil’s Dust. ABC1.
- Lachy Hulme. Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War. Nine Network.
- Richard Roxburgh. Rake – Season 2. ABC1.
Best actress in a television drama
- Ashleigh Cummings. Puberty Blues. Network Ten.
- Essie Davis. Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. ABC1.
- Susie Porter. Dangerous Remedy. ABC1.
- Leah Purcell. Redfern Now – Episode 1 ‘Family’. ABC1.
Byron Kennedy Award
- Sarah Watt
Best Young Actor
- Saskia Rosendahl. Lore
Best Direction in Television
- Jack Irish: Bad Debts. Jeffrey Walker
Best Guest or Supporting Actor in Television Drama
- Aaron Jeffery. Underbelly Badness – Episode 3 ‘The Loaded Dog’
Best Guest or Supporting Actress in a Television Drama
- Mandy McElhinney. Howzat! Kerry Packer’s War – Part 2
Audience Choice Award for most Memorable Screen Moment
- The Sapphires
And as an interesting fact, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush all appeared on stamps together in 2009.
You can watch a one-hour highlights version tonight on Channel TEN showing the best red carpet moments and ceremony highlights from the AACTA Awards at 9.30pm.
For more you can visit the AACTA website.
Your Pop Culture Gossip Girl
Category: Glossy News